In 2001, the Professional Affairs Board of the British Psychological Society (BPS) instructed a group psychologists to issue a report entitled “The Nature of Hypnosis”.
Its responsibility was ‘to provide a considered statement about hypnosis and important issues concerning its application and practice in a range of contexts.
It opens with the following introductory remark:
“Hypnosis is a valid subject for scientific study and research and a proven therapeutic medium.”
In terms of hypnotherapy the report said:
“Enough studies have now accumulated to suggest that the inclusion of hypnotic procedures may be beneficial in the management and treatment of a wide range of conditions and problems encountered in the practice of medicine, psychiatry and psychotherapy.”
The report was summarized as follows:
- “There is credible evidence that hypnotic procedures are effective in the relief and reduction of both acute and chronic pain including medical and dental procedures and childbirth.”
- “Hypnotherapy and self-hypnosis may significantly reduce anxious tension and stress in a manner similar to meditation”
- “Self hypnosis and hypnotherapy assists in insomnia in the same way as other relaxation methods.”
- “There is evidence demonstrating the effects of hypnosis in assuaging the symptoms of a range of ‘psychosomatic illness.” Including
- tension headaches and migraine;
- gastro-intestinal complaints such as irritable bowel syndrome;
- warts; and
- possibly other skin complaints such as eczema, psoriasis and urticaria [hives].
- hypnosis inclusion in a weight reduction program may significantly enhance outcome.
This is what most of us in the field have know for a long time. The inherent wisdom and healing power of the unconscious mind.
It is universally accepted that stress can cause health problems yet we are surprised when research shows that the same mind can heal the body as well as damage the body.
Please consult you medical Dr if you suspect that you have any illness or disease. Pain is frequently a sign that something is wrong so get it checked first. Hypnosis and hypnotherapy are complementary and alternative forms of healing and therapy. Any reputable hypnotherapist will be comfortable working within a structure of medical professionals when dealing with your health.
Do you feel that you need to hear more about what I can tell you about hypnotherapy, pain relief and relaxation therapy in Port Elizabeth? you can call me now on 071 863 7398 or email me on email@example.com.
More interesting articles, research and advise on health, fitness and the Power of Your Mind at www.lifeshifts.co.za